Project IO - Digital Citizenship
Chief Product & Design Officer
Project IO is a central component of the Italian government’s vision of digital citizenship. Its objective is to facilitate the most common transactions between citizens and central and local administrations such as:
- receiving communications and updates;
- obtaining and managing documents (notifications, certificates, etc.);
- courtesy deadlines reminder notices;
- making digital payments;
- electing a digital address.
IO embodies the ultimate example of a user-centric approach to the delivery of digital public service. In fact, one of the project’s objectives is to propose a model in which citizens are no longer held responsible for figuring out which services they need nor must go through the laborious task of learning how the digital services work. Instead, the public sector has the responsibility of contacting citizens when needed. It’s also a way of making the public sector’s complexity more ‘transparent’ to citizens.
Once the experimental phase will be over, the project will fully implement Article 64-bis, Digital Administration Code, which establishes a single access point for all digital services.
The Team’s role
The Digital Team has designed and developed the IO app and other related services so that citizens may directly access public services on their smartphones. The name “IO” encompasses the two main goals of the project:
- create a single interface for public services;
- provide personalized services, tailored to fit each individual need.
The app is based on the capabilities of several enabling platforms on which the Team is also working: SPID, pagoPA, ANPR, the new API-based interoperability model, and the tools and guidelines made available on the Designers Italia and Developers Italia communities.
Through their SPID credentials, citizens will be able to sign up and then, with a simple PIN or biometric recognition tool (i.e. fingerprint or face recognition), they will able to unlock the app for their daily use or needs.
Users won’t have to register with each single online service but will have just one contact point that, once they have registered, will interact directly with them on the basis of their tax code, and their individual preferences and needs. Users can disable at any time those services which no longer interest them, preventing further contact through the app.
Thanks to the integration with pagoPA, citizens can also use IO to make digital payments to the Public Administration and save their preferred payment methods (credit, debit, PayPal, etc.). Paper bills issued within the pagoPA circuit can also be paid using the app, simply by framing a QR code.
Project details and information for journalists and public bodies are available on io.italia.it.
IO is an open source project. All code, documents, discussions and development tools are public and available on the Developers Italia forum.
Benefits for Citizens
The IO app will allow citizens to:
- Receive all notices from the Public Administration on their smartphone, personalize and manage them in an archive.
- Manage contacts from a central access point that allows citizens to choose, at any time, which services may wish to use.
- Stay up-to-date on deadlines and manage alerts in an “integrated” mode (i.e. marking deadlines in a personal calendar and managing payments directly on the app).
- Make secure payments to the Public Administration through pagoPA with a variety of payment options to choose from (credit, debit, PayPal, etc.).
- Keep at hand transaction histories and receipts at all times.
- Receive and store documents, receipts, and certificates directly on their smartphone and share them with a public office in just a few clicks.
- Choose their digital address directly on the app (for example, receiving legal documents at a Certified Electronic Mail Box, PEC).
The app allows citizens to have a better understanding of the available digital services, with a drastic reduction of bureaucracy. Moreover, there are many cases in which the use of IO will result into savings for the Public Administration as well, savings that can translate into lower costs for citizens.
Benefits for Public Administrations
IO will allow Public Administrations to:
- Send electronic notices by tax code rather than given address.
- Communicate deadlines and receive electronic payments more easily.
- Avoid managing and updating contacts.
- Send and request documents easily and efficiently.
- Manage individual citizen preferences centrally.
- Retrieve the forwarding status of every communication.
- Reduce management costs (notifications, payments, etc.).
- Facilitate payments and reduce the cost of recovering credit.
Read the latest tweets about the project: #projectIO.
Any contact request from the media and journalists should be addressed to the Digital Transformation Team’s press and communications office.